Saturday , October 20 2018
Home / Auto News / Young drivers ‘licensed to lose points’

Young drivers ‘licensed to lose points’

One in three young drivers will receive points on their licence within 12 months of passing their test, a survey has revealed.

New research by money saving website www.VoucherCodesPro.co.uk indicates that more than a third of drivers receive points on their licence in the first year.

Furthermore, it was found that one in 10 young drivers polled lost their license within the first two years of passing.

It was also found that first time drivers spend on average £940 on their first car if it was not gifted to them.

The team at VoucherCodesPro.co.uk polled a total of 2,457 respondents aged 18-25. All participants held a valid driving license for at least one year and own their own car.

Initially, respondents were asked if they felt they are a good driver. The majority of participants (89%) stated they did think they were good on the road.

Next all participants were asked if they had ever received points on their licence to which 55% stated they did, with 34% stating they received points on their licence in the first year of them driving.

Following on from this, participants were asked if they still held a valid licence, to which 11% stated they did not. All of these said they lost their licence in the first two years of passing.

To understand this more, participants who stated they have received points were asked how they got these. The following answers emerged as the top 5:

1. Using a device while driving (eg phone) – 34%
2. Speeding – 18%
3. Dangerous driving – 16%
4. Running a red light – 14
5. Using a defective vehicle – 12%

Next, all participants were asked how much they spent on their first car – 36% stated it was a gift. Of the remaining 64%, it was found that, on average, participants spent £940 on their first car.

Finally, participants were asked if they had ever had to take their car to the garage due to ‘reckless driving’ to which 41% stated they had. Finally all respondents were asked “Have you ever had a car written off?” to which 21% stated they had.

“Young, first-time drivers are often seen as reckless racers that have little regard for road rules and with results like this it’s easy to see where this image comes from,” said George Charles of www.VoucherCodesPro.co.uk.

“It’s sad as so many young people are fantastic drivers who take their safety and their cars safety, which they probably have spent a lot of money on, seriously.

“Risking your life for a laugh or wasting money by having your licence revoked or car written off isn’t funny or hard. It’s pretty ridiculous.”

About Gareth Herincx

Gareth is a versatile journalist, copywriter and digital editor who's worked across the media in newspapers, magazines, TV, teletext, radio and online. After long stints at the BBC, GMTV and ITV, he now specialises in motoring.

Check Also

Traffic jam

Top 10 biggest stresses for drivers

A third of Brits regularly drive while stressed – and half believe other motorists are …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *