The impressive new Volvo XC60 has been crowned the overall winner at the UK Car of the Year Awards 2018.
After scooping Best Medium Crossover when the category winners were announced in January, the SUV went up against another 12 triumphant new cars to fight it out for the top honour.
It is the first time that Volvo has won the overall prize at the awards and the company has gone one better than 2016, when the XC90 was runner-up.
The XC60 was praised for its refinement, build quality and driving dynamics at the #UKCOTY awards which are supported by Cox Automotive – whose UK brands include Manheim and Motors.co.uk.
“Winning both the overall UK Car of the Year and Best Medium Crossover awards is a fantastic achievement for Volvo,” said Jon Wakefield, managing director at Volvo Car UK.
“The awards reflect the desirability and sophistication of the XC60 and the elegant Scandinavian design, cutting-edge technology and luxurious equipment levels have proved a big hit with customers.”
Launched in 2014, the UK Car of the Year Awards are judged by 27 of Britain’s leading motoring journalists. Each judge uses their expertise to pick out the top performer in 13 vehicle categories, before deciding the overall winner from their favourites in each class.
Full list of UK Car of the Year Awards 2018 winners:
- Best Supermini – SEAT Ibiza
- Best Small Hatch – Volkswagen Golf
- Best Family – Peugeot 3008
- Best Executive – BMW 5 Series
- Best Luxury – Rolls-Royce Phantom
- Best Estate – BMW 5 Series
- Best Small Crossover – Citroen C3 Aircross
- Best Medium Crossover – Volvo XC60
- Best Large Crossover – Skoda Kodiaq
- Best Coupe – Lexus LC
- Best Cabriolet – Mazda MX-5 RF
- Best Hot Hatch – Hyundai i30 N
- Best Performance – Kia Stinger