Nothing beats taking to the road on a glorious summer’s day. However, the glaring sun takes no prisoners and being dazzled can be a major distraction and is often a factor in summer collisions.
Here’s some essential tips on how to stay safe on the road at this time of the year from IAM RoadSmart’s head of driving and riding standards, Richard Gladman.
- Keep your windscreen clean both inside and out; a dirty screen will magnify the glare.
- On the outside check for chips or cracks, replace worn wiper blades and make sure your washer bottle is kept well topped up with good quality screen wash to help remove those summer bugs.
- Keep a cloth or chamois to wipe away the dirt that builds up on the inside
- Use your sun visor. It may sound pretty obvious but a surprising number of people forget.
- Invest in polarised sunglasses and remember to take a rest. Your eyes will strain quickly if you are squinting. Read our sunglasses tips for more information.
- If you are dazzled by the sun, slow down and leave extra space between yourself and the driver ahead. This will give you more time to regain full control and assess the situation.
- Remember that when the sun is low behind you, you might be able to see just fine, but oncoming drivers might not see you.
Richard added: “It’s easy to get distracted when the sun is out and the world seems a better place.
“By keeping the screen clean and your view shaded where possible, you will give yourself the best chance of staying safe.
“If you are wearing sunglasses, bear in mind that the protection they offer will be magnified by any tinted windows and remember to keep them clean – it’s amazing how distorting a sun cream fog can be.
“Be ready to take them off in tunnels or shaded areas but keep them close to hand.”